***Please head to the Ethical Jobs website here to find out more***
Employer: Youth Affairs Council of Western Australia
Work Type/s: Contract, Full Time
Classification/s: Advocacy & Campaigns, Community Development, Legal & Human Rights, Policy & Research, Youth
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
- Employment Status: Full-time, 12-Month Contract
- Remuneration: $67,000-$72,000 plus 9.5% Superannuation
- Relevant Award: Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award
The Youth Affairs Council of Western Australia (YACWA) is the peak non-government youth organisation in Western Australia. We operate primarily as a human rights organisation that seeks to address the exclusion of young people in a rapidly changing society. YACWA provides a voice and acts as a role model for the definition and demonstration of youth participation. Our work is governed by four guiding principles of respect, equity, integrity and the celebration of diversity.
About the position
The purpose of the Policy & Advocacy Officer is to influence as much as possible as an advocate for young people, by working collaboratively with YACWA organisational members, networks and young people to design campaigns, produce research, and develop member-driven and evidence based policy positions that help reduce inequality and disadvantage for young people in WA. Core to this role will be a commitment to challenging the status quo with a solution-focused approach to all tasks and activities undertaken.
YACWA strives to be a leading force in policy development surrounding youth issues in Western Australia. The YACWA Policy & Advocacy Officer is essential to ensuring YACWA develops sound evidence-based policy positions that can be utilised to advocate for effective changes to social policy and therefore improved outcomes for the youth sector and young people in Western Australia.
You will ideally have strong policy and practice experience in youth work, community development, and/or community services with expertise in areas such as policy analysis, research and human rights.
The role will include:
- Research, policy analysis, and development of policy responses;
- Representation on committees and forums;
- Member engagement and consultation;
- Developing strategic communications through social media, mainstream media and in public forums;
- Coordinating strategic policy and reform related projects
- Demonstrated experience in the areas of policy analysis, advocacy, lobbying and campaigning, including the ability to adapt strategy to a rapidly changing government policy and political environment;
- Demonstrated experience in stakeholder engagement and consultation;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including an ability to develop clear, targeted messages and to communicate with influence;
- Proven analytical and research skills;
- Self-motivation and ability to deal with a high level of responsibility;
- Demonstrated project management skills;
- Adaptability and the ability to work collaboratively within a small team;
- Relevant tertiary qualifications;
- Strong computer literacy skills.
- A commitment to support and promote the overall objectives of YACWA.
- Experience working in the youth sector
- Experience working with young people.
- Knowledge of current Federal, State and non-government social policy issues.
- Must be able to provide current National Police Check and Working With Children Check.