Are you 12-25 living in the City of Armadale, Gosnells, Canning or Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale? Do you want to have a voice in your local community about mental health and youth issues? Are you passionate about making a difference to the lives of young people?
At headspace Armadale we believe that youth participation is fundamental to the delivery of quality services for young people. headspace aims to provide young people with opportunities to meaningfully participate and collaborate in our daily operations, events and services.
What is the headspace Local Youth Reference Group?
The Youth Reference Group (YRG) is a group of young people aged 16-25 who are passionate about mental health and who are interested in helping to promote headspace Armadale to the local community. As a member, your voice will not only be heard but your input will be acted upon within the centre. You will help us to organise and run youth events in the local community, ensure headspace Armadale is relevant for young people and have the opportunity to network and create contacts in the industry that can help you throughout your working life.
headspace Armadale is providing young people with the opportunity to be heard and be active around youth mental health and alcohol and wellbeing. There are a number of roles you can play in a headspace local reference group, including:
- Leading a project in your local area
- Website and social media consultation and development
- Research and evaluation of headspace services
- Consultation around resource development such as, factsheets, brochures, radio ads etc.
- Media Spokesperson
By getting involved you will:
- Have the opportunity to have your say and direct youth mental health services in the Armadale, Gosnells, Canning and Serpentine Jarrahdale region.
- Develop new skills
- Meet and work with other young people who are passionate about youth mental health
- Make a difference to youth mental health
Who are we looking for?
- Young people with lived experiences of mental health
- Those who know someone who has experienced a mental health issue
- Passionate individuals with an interest in mental health and youth issues
- Young people from all walks of life
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Young People
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Young People
- LGBTIQ+ young people
What does being a part of the headspace Armadale Youth Reference Group involve?
As a member of the YRG you will be expected to attend monthly meetings on Thursday nights from 5.30-7:30 PM and to volunteer at events (such as expos and open days) when possible. You will also be expected to maintain communication through Facebook, email and text message on a weekly basis.
What you get:
- New skills and training
- Building connections with your community
- Social space to meet other young people
- Food at meetings
- headspace merchandise including T-shirt
- Potential reference and volunteer experience
- Travel costs reimbursed
- $25 for attending each meeting
headspace Armadale will provide some training and personal development opportunities.
How to apply:
Please click here to fill in the online application form.
Applications close Friday 9th February 2018 at 1:00 pm.
For any questions in relation to applying for this position please contact Suellen Althaus on 9393 0300 or firstname.lastname@example.org